Intern Spotlight: Erika Gogis

Erika Gogis ’16 is an Agricultural Business major interning at Stamford Farmers’ Cooperative in Delaware County.

Q: How are you putting your SUNY Cobleskill education to use in your internship?

The co-op is involved in multiple different aspects of the farming industry. They have their own fertilizer plant where they mix custom fertilizers for farmers and even have spreaders that farmers can rent and use to spread either fertilizer or lime. In addition, they also own a feed mill where they can make a variety of different feeds for cows, sheep, goats, pigs and chickens. I am currently working with Janet Beken Smith who is not only the general manager but also a wealth of knowledge when it comes to dairy nutrition.

SUNY Cobleskill has given me a good basis in understanding the chemical and biological processes that go on behind the scenes. In the classroom I have learned a lot of “textbook” knowledge but the programs and teams that SUNY Cobleskill has provided have given me a more hands-on approach to learning.

Erika Gogis 2

If there is one thing that I have learned in my internship it’s that knowledge truly is power.

For example, I was on both the Dairy Challenge team and also the Dairy Judging team during my time at SUNY Cobleskill and both have helped me get a better understanding of the dairy industry. I have always had a good relationship with my teachers and advisers who are a great asset to my education.

Q: How does this internship fit into your educational and career paths?

Stamford Farmers’ Cooperative has given me a broad background in both dairy nutrition and agronomy. If there is one thing that I have learned in my internship it’s that knowledge truly is power and every day there is something new to learn. I have made connections and interacted with so many different people during my time in Delaware County. The internship program is a great part of the bachelor’s degree program at SUNY Cobleskill.

Communications & Marketing

The Office of Communications and Marketing advocates for SUNY Cobleskill. The office's mission is to enhance the College's public image, increase awareness of SUNY Cobleskill's accomplishments, and assure consistency of image and quality in all College communications

You May Also Like